Brazil’s João Chianca wins Portugal stage of World Surf Championship
Brazilian João Chianca won the third stage of the World Surfing Circuit, disputed at Supertubos beach, in Peniche (Portugal). The surfer, also known as Chumbinho, beat Tuesday (Mar. 14) the leader of the world ranking Australian Jack Robinson.
This was the first opportunity in which the 22-year-old surfer won a stage of the World Circuit. “Ever since I qualified for the CT [Championship Tour], I’ve dreamed of my first win. Last year I didn’t do well here, and I had a weird feeling coming here. But I was totally wrong and today is the most amazing day of my life. It will be unforgettable, and I love Portugal,” he stated.
In the great dispute, João Chianca dominated it since the beginning. He left Robinson in a complicated situation after catching a tube that guaranteed him 7.83 points. Later on, he completed an even better wave and added another 8.50. But the best moment came at the end when Chumbinho finished another incredible tube. He received 9.07 points, increased the difference, and closed the contest with 17.57 against 15.14.
With his victory on Tuesday, Chianca took over the second place in the world ranking with 22,170 points, just behind Robinson (23.885). Chumbinho is followed by two other Brazilians, third-place Filipe Toledo (16,075) and fourth-place Caio Ibelli (14,150).
In the women’s contest, 17-year-old American Caitlin Simmers beat her fellow countrywoman Courtney Conlogue by 13.50 to 12.83 and won the title. On the other hand, Brazilian Tatiana Weston-Webb lost in the semifinals, precisely to the vice-champion.
- Seosp avança na construção do espaço da Bovinocultura para a 10ª Rondônia Rural Show Internacional
- Junta Comercial de Rondônia possibilitou a abertura de mais de 25 mil empresas, em 2022
- Estudantes de Rondônia podem se inscrever até 5 de maio no Projeto Jovem Senador 2023
- Tecnologia para tratamento de efluentes vai fortalecer agroindústrias de Rondônia
- Idep abre inscrições para cursos na área de panificação e confeitaria em Porto Velho