The headquarters of the Amazon Cooperation Treaty Organization (ACTO)—an intergovernmental body formed by eight Amazon countries: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guiana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela, all signatories in the Amazon Cooperation Treaty—have been inaugurated in Brasília. The ACTO is Latin America’s only socio-environmental bloc.
At the ceremony, Brazil was represented by vice-President Hamilton Mourão, who has been chair of the country’s National Legal Amazon Council since the beginning of last year, spearheading government measures on deforestation and fires in the Amazon biome—the planet’s biggest rainforest, brought to the attention of nations across the world.
“We have reiterated at a number of international forums our commitment to making the ACTO a reference in matters of regional cooperation, political dialog, and common attitudes regarding topics on the international agenda linked to the Amazon,” he stated.
At the inauguration, held Thursday (Oct. 21), Mourão mentioned that the ACTO is the only Brazil-based multilateral organization. The bloc, he went on, “is a heritage of regional diplomacy and boasts vast experience in the promotion of political dialog and regional cooperation for the benefit of Amazon countries.”
In his address, the vice-president took stock of the measures under the Amazon Council, listing the operations of the Armed Forces in the region as well as other initiatives of the government to curb wrongdoing.
“We have enhanced the systems for monitoring and support in decision making, in addition to stepping up environmental and land regulation programs. We have authorized new admissions for environmental law enforcement agencies and boosted the engagement of other public security forces—like the Federal Police and the National Force—in the fight against environmental offenses.”
Mourão also said that the Brazilian government manage to reverse the increasing trajectory in deforestation and to ensure the conditions for a quicker recovery in the coming months.
- CNC: household debt reaches its highest level in almost 12 years
- CNI: 82% of small industries have innovated at least once
- Posto de aquisição do COM Card será transferido da sede da Emater para a zona Sul
- TJRO apresenta resultados de parcerias interinstitucionais e mudança do modal de transportes aos representantes dos TJs de GO e MA
- Pix Saque e Pix Troco estão disponíveis a partir de hoje
- Atlético Mineiro ganha do Fluminense e dá mais um passo rumo ao título
- Série B: com drama, Avaí vira sobre Sampaio Corrêa e está na elite
- Judô: Beatriz Souza fica com o ouro no Grand Slam de Abu Dhabi
- LNF: Cascavel elimina Carlos Barbosa e alcança a final inédita
- LNF: Carlos Barbosa e Cascavel disputam vaga na final
- Nissan espera vender 50% de carros elétricos até 2050
- Por que a ordem das teclas de números muda do telefone para a calculadora?
- Metaverso bombou com Facebook, mas milhões de brasileiros já estão nele
- Qual é o jeito certo de limpar os vidros da casa e o box do banheiro?
- Mude agora: estes hábitos vão detonar a geladeira e bombar a conta de luz